I love a good slow cooker recipe. I also love a good healthy recipe that I can make with little effort! This one has a really nice curry kick that isn’t diluted at all using a slow cooker. I was really wowed by the flavour. Served with rice, it made a great hearty meal.
Sparkpeople is one of my favourite websites, with countless healthy recipes to choose from. You can find this original recipe in their SparkRecipes section here. I made a few slight changes and short cuts that I will outline below.
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1/2 cup carrots (baby carrots cut in half)
– 1 onion, thinly chopped
– 2 tbsp garlic paste
– 2 tbsp curry powder
– 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
– 1/2 tsp turmeric
– 4 potatoes, quartered
– 1 bag fresh pre-cut green beans
– 3 cups canned chickpeas, drained
– 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
– 2 cups vegetable stock
– 1/2 cup frozen peas
– 1/2 cup light coconut milk
1. In a saute pan, heat the oil. Add carrots and onion and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, curry powder, cayenne and turmeric to the pan and cook for 2 minutes more.
3. Remove vegetables from the pan and add to slow cooker.
4. Add potatoes, green beans, chick peas, tomatoes and vegetable stock to the slow cooker.
5. Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 5 1/2 hours.
6. Add the peas and coconut milk and cook for 15 minutes more.
7. Serve over hot basmati rice.