Unlike Dave, I need recipes to make good food! One of my “go-to” favourites is a Turkey Sausage and Pea Pasta dish from the Giada De Laurentis cookbook “Everyday Italian.”
I love pasta and I love peas, so putting them together is something I like to do. I also really like the freshness of a pasta without a heavy sauce and light options like turkey sausage instead of regular sausage. This recipe doesn’t really have a sauce to speak of (other than the sausage drippings and some reserved cooking water) and it is super easy to whip together.
Turkey Sausage and Pea Pasta
– 2 Tbsp olive oil
– 1 lb turkey sausage, casings removed (I like to cut up into tiny meatballs)
– 1 tsp seas salt (plus more to taste)
– 1 tsp black pepper (plus more to taste)
– 1 10 ounce package frozen peas
– 1 lb bow tie or macaroni-style pasta
– 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
1. In a large saute pan, heat oil over high heat. Add turkey sausage and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
2. Add salt and pepper (to taste) and then frozen peas, and saute for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook about 8-9 minutes until pasta is al dente.
4. Reserve about 1/2 cup of cooking water, and drain the pasta.
5. Return pasta into the large pot, mixing with reserved cooking water and turkey and pea mixture. Mix over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
6. Remove the pan from heat, adding the parmesan cheese and more salt and pepper to taste.
7. Transfer pasta to large serving dish, and serve.